Bartending is one of the most popular ways to make money in New York City. The clubbing scene is very active in NYC, and there are always plenty of opportunities for bartenders.
Many bars and clubs are always looking for new bartenders. The art of bartending is not only making drinks but also keeping the customers happy.
To become a bartender in New York City, you must be at least 21 years old and have a valid ID. You should obtain a bartending license by taking bartending classes. Bartenders need to be able to make a variety of different drinks, so it is helpful to have some experience with different types of alcohol.
Anybody looking to get into bartending in New York City will need to have a few things before they start applying for jobs.
We’ll discuss in detail in this article succeeding as a bartender in NYC and what you need to get started. We’ll also mention the different qualities required in bartending.
How To Succeed as a Bartender in NYC
The general rule of thumb for becoming a bartender is trial and error. If you want to bartend in New York City, then there are a few things you’ll need to have before you start.
Bartending is not just about making drinks. It’s also about customer service and maintaining a positive attitude. Many bartending jobs also require that you have experience making various drinks.
It would be best if you considered getting hired as a barback or a server at a restaurant. This will allow you to learn about different types of alcohol and how to make various drinks.
You can also get experience by bartending at a friend’s party or volunteering at a local bar. This will allow you to see what it’s like to bartend and learn some basics. It’s also important to have some experience dealing with people. This will come in handy when you’re working as a bartender and dealing with customers.
To be a bartender in New York City, you must be at least 21 years of age and have a valid form of identification. The best way to get your bartending license is by taking a bartending course at a local bartending school.
Bartending schools will teach you the basics of making drinks and how to keep your customers happy. Additionally, a lot of bartending positions demand that you know various beverages.
It’s crucial to remember that serving beverages is just one aspect of bartending. Customer service and maintaining a cheerful outlook are also important. It’s crucial to have some interpersonal experience if you want to work as a bartender because you’ll need to be able to handle a wide range of different customers.
By having a bartending license, you’ll be able to show potential employers that you have the necessary skills to be a bartender.
After you’ve obtained your bartending license and experience, you should create a resume. Your resume should list your bartending experience, as well as your customer service experience.
You should also list any special skills that you have, such as the ability to make a particular type of drink. If you don’t have any bartending experience, you can include any other type of customer service experience.
List your bartending license and other relevant information on your resume.
To become a successful bartender in the ever-busy New York City, you must learn how to pour drinks quickly and accurately. This is important as NYC customers are always in a hurry and don’t want to wait for their drinks.
You can learn to pour drinks quickly by taking a bartending course or practicing at home. There are a few different techniques that you can use to pour drinks quickly.
- Free Pour Technique: This technique is when you pour the drink without using a jigger. This is the fastest way to pour a drink, but it can be difficult to control the amount of alcohol you pour.
- Jigger Pour Technique: This method entails measuring the alcohol with a jigger before pouring it into the glass. Although it takes longer, pouring a drink is more precise.
- Weight Pour Technique: The alcohol is measured on a scale before being poured into the glass. Although it takes the longest to pour a drink, this method is the most accurate.
As a bartender, you should know about the different types of alcohol and what they taste like. This is important because customers often ask for recommendations on what to drink.
You should also know about the different types of alcohol to make recommendations when customers ask for them. The most common types of alcohol are vodka, gin, rum, tequila, whisky, and bourbon.
One of the best ways to learn how to bartend is to shadow or work with an experienced bartender. This will allow you to see what it’s like to bartend and learn some basics.
It’s also a good idea to ask the bartender for tips on how to make drinks, pour drinks quickly, and deal with customers.
What Makes a Good Bartender
Of course, being a fast drink pourer and knowing about different types of alcohol is important, but those are just some of the technical skills you need to have as a bartender. To be a truly great bartender, you must have certain personal qualities.
Some of the qualities that make a good bartender are:
- The ability to multitask. This is important because you’ll often make drinks while serving food and dealing with customer questions.
- The ability to stay calm under pressure. This is crucial since there may be instances when you need to work quickly, and the bar can get very busy.
- The ability to upsell. This is significant since tips are the primary source of income for bartenders. You’ll earn more money the more you upsell.
- The ability to build a rapport with customers. This is important because customers like you are likelier to return and tip well.
- The ability to handle difficult customers. You’ll unavoidably have to deal with some challenging consumers, so this is crucial.
- The ability to remember customer orders. This is essential since it demonstrates your concern for your clients’ orders and satisfaction.
These are just some things you need to do to become a successful bartender in New York City. If you have the technical skills and the personal qualities, you’ll be sure to succeed in this fast-paced and competitive industry.
The most important thing is never to stop learning. New techniques and products are always being developed, so it’s important to stay up-to-date on the latest trends. You can become a successful bartender in NYC with hard work and dedication.
Frequently Asked Questions
A bartender interview is usually pretty informal. The interviewer will ask about your experience and why you want to be a bartender. They may also ask you to demonstrate your bartending skills.
Barbacks make minimum wage, but they also receive tips. The average Barback makes $20-$30 per hour, including tips.